We care for what you love
Home > Blog Post
Posted by Rome Doel
Take a few preparatory steps so the weather doesn't get the better of them
Winter brings with it some tumultuous weather which can be tough for our garden plants to handle. But fear not, with a few preparatory steps we can make sure our gardens are just fine outside, as we cosy up with a blanker indoors.
Follow these steps to make sure your border, potted and feature plants withstand the winter...
1. Give yews a final clipping in September/early October to remove the second flush of growth and leave it neat.
2. Put beds to sleep with a deep mulch of well-rotted compost.
3. Remove saucers from pots and raise them up on clay feet or bricks to prevent roots from freezing.
4. Brush heavy snow from more delicate topiary and tree branches to avoid splaying or snapping.
5. Don't walk on frosty lawns as it damages the grass.
6. Check for any rootballs that might have been forced up out of the ground by frost.
- Paula Mcwatters
For same day landscaping services or tree services contact FM Garden and Trees today. Call for your free estimate now at 703-980-9652
We take all mejor credit cards
Mon - Sun : 06:00 - 21:00
Monday : 09:00 - 15:00